Thursday, September 25, 2008

FDR was President in 1929 and got on TV to address America? What The %#@!

Joe Biden apparently wasn't paying attention in history class. In this clip he claims FDR was President in 1929 when the stock market crashed and he addressed the nation on TV.



There are two problems with this one Herbert Hoover was President in 1929. The other problem is Television had not been invented yet. It didn't come about until 1939 and was unveiled at the world's fair.

I'm keeping a running list of Biden's gaffes. http://thenewconservatives.blogspot.com/2008/09/bidens-gaffes.html
If you know of any I've missed please add them in the comments section and I'll add them to the blog.

1 comment:

  1. I need to see more than this 20 second clip to know what Biden was getting at.

    He could just as easily have been talking about the Great Depression in general by referencing the stock market crash, and was being loose when he said TV instead of radio.

    I don't even know what the question Couric asked him was. Find me a longer clip and then you might have a case, right now, all I see is a guy talking off the top of his head and not getting it right.

    Obviously, the point of this wasn't "FDR got on this TV"... it sounded as if he were making a larger point, but I don't know, because this clip cuts him off in mid-stream. Poor wording? Maybe. But if it was a real blunder, then how come the clip here cuts out the question and most of Biden's response?

    What's the full clip and does that alter what we're seeing here?

    ReplyDelete