Monday, September 22, 2008

Observation Skills do not Equal Racism

For more from Scott Martin visit Conservatism Today.

The media is attempting to make racism the key factor when Obama loses this year's presidential election. Don't buy it. From the Trunk Report:

Racism is one of the most overhyped problems in America and a tool of the liberal elite to coerce people into their thinking. Most Americans could care less if Obama is black but they do care about his brand of political philosophy. I refuse to accept that mainstream America holds this level of radical racial misgivings. I have highlighted important statements from the Breitbart article that I think are interesting.

More than a third of all white Democrats and independents—voters Obama can’t win the White House without—agreed with at least one negative adjective about blacks, according to the survey, and they are significantly less likely to vote for Obama than those who don’t have such views.

Given a choice of several positive and negative adjectives that might describe blacks, 20 percent of all whites said the word “violent” strongly applied. Among other words, 22 percent agreed with “boastful,” 29 percent “complaining,” 13 percent “lazy” and 11 percent “irresponsible.” When asked about positive adjectives, whites were more likely to stay on the fence than give a strongly positive assessment.

I agree with Trunk that racism is way over-hyped in America and "a tool of the liberal elite to coerce people into their way of thinking." That is why it is so puzzling to see from his response that he has allowed the liberal elite to coerce him into their thinking on this issue. After noting the numbers above, Trunk says:

Where did they get their sample, the hills of West Virginia? If it is true, I am kind of miffed at these crackers. Who cares about color, give me Thomas Sowell, Clarence Thomas or Michael Steele any day.

Nobody said anything about caring about color, these people were just asked to pick adjectives that might apply to a general population. And the fact that so few people picked these adjectives tells me that the media has succeeded in making people uncomfortable simply noting what they know and what they see.

Stereotypes exist for a reason, and they aren't bad when used for what they are worth. And blacks and whites, while getting closer in some ways, still have very different cultures in America. And they are raised very differently, blacks often without a father figure and with less of a focus on education. To think this doesn't impact what many people eventually become is ridiculous.

Let's look at the adjectives. 20% said violent. Let's look at our nations prisoners. Blacks are 9 times more likely to be imprisoned than whites, and lest one think this is a result of racist conservative policies, the difference is much larger in the more liberal states. Is it wrong to assume that there is a bigger problem with violence in the black community than among whites? Who are these brain-dead 80% that said no?

11% said irresponsible. Nearly 70% of black children are born illegitimately, compared to around 30% of whites. The irresponsibility of black males has been cited as a major problem in the black community by Barack Obama, Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson. 58% of blacks, compared with 23% of whites, are raised by single parents. What is wrong with the 89% of people who didn't see irresponsibility as a problem in the black community? They have been beaten down by a media that refuses to talk straight about the issue.

22% said boastful. The other 78% apparently don't watch the NFL, NBA, MLB or listen to Barack Obama take credit for things he had nothing to do with. Most white people I know grew up in a household where if they ever reacted like Terrell Owens does after scoring a TD, they would have been told that you don't taunt opponents, that you act like you've been there before, and whipped like Secratariat coming down the home stretch.

Let's face it, there are differences between the black community and the white community in America. We should accept it and work on changing it, not burying our heads in the sand and acting like it's racist to point them out.

And it shouldnt affect your vote. Every person is an individual and needs to be treated as such.

Go ahead, call me a racist. I moved to Phoenix from Wisconsin a week after my best friend was killed in a bar far by a racist tool who was upset that my friend had the audacity to be black and publicly kiss his girlfriend, who was white. That is racism. Observation of the facts as they are today is not.

And as for racism being the difference in this election if Obama loses, one candidate expects to win 90% or more of the votes from one race. Hint: it isn't the white guy.

1 comment:

  1. Hey New Conservative, thanks for ref. my post, this is a great site. I plan to come back often.