This Post comes from Conservatism Today
Those Who Don't Learn the Lessons of History, Doom, Repetition and the Like
I've often expressed this opinion, but never took the time to find the cold, hard facts to back it up. But about ten minutes ago I came across a wonderful new conservative blog that laid it out. The failing cities in America are failing because they have been run by Democrats forever. From PC America:
What do the top ten cities with the highest poverty rate all have in common?
Cities with the highest poverty rates:
1. Detroit, MI (Hasn't elected a Republican mayor since 1961)
2. Buffalo, NY (Hasn't elected a Republican mayor since 1954)
3. Cincinnati, OH (Hasn't elected a Republican mayor since 1984)
4. Cleveland, OH (Hasn't elected a Republican mayor since 1989)
5. Miami, FL (Has never had a Republican Mayor)
6. St. Louis, MO (Hasn't elected a Republican mayor since 1949)
7. El Paso, TX (Has never had a Republican Mayor)
8. Milwaukee, WI (Hasn't elected a Republican mayor since 1908)
9. Philadelphia, PA (Hasn't elected a Republican mayor since 1952)
10. Newark, NJ (Hasn't elected a Republican mayor since 1907)
Einstein once said : 'The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.'
Note that none of them have had a Republican mayor since Reagan left office. Hmmmm. And most of them failed to benefit like the rest of the world under Ronald Reagan. I wonder why.
Click that link and check out Ashley's site. Good stuff there, especially for a relative newcomer. If you look at that list, you will see that New Orleans is not even on it. Why is that? Because the Democrat nanny-state so sheltered the people of New Orleans that the poor couldn't even manage to get their asses out of town to avoid Hurricane Katrina. They are now mostly living in other cities, and hopefully have learned an important lesson. Too bad Detroit hasn't learned it. Or Milwaukee, where I have many quite well-off conservative-minded family members who continue to buck the trend.
Now it's time for my take. I've also always thought the same thing. You can go back to Hurricane Katrina and learn that the state that handled the storm worse was Louisiana, and the town that handled it worse was New Orleans. Louisana was the only state involved with a Democratic Governor. The mayor of New Orleans is also a Democrat. They actually re-elected the guy. That's something I will never understand. On the upside they ended up with Bobby Jindal, a possible future President, as their Governor.
1 week ago